We were in the middle of dinner with Joel and Emily on Tuesday evening when Joel said, “Hey, why don’t we go fishing tonight?”  The plan had been to spend Wednesday fishing, but we were all getting antsy to get out there and catch something. It was only 9pm, we had plenty of time to get back before sunset (12:30AM). After  finishing our delicious steak and salmon we put on our rubber boots, doused ourselves in bug spray, gathered up the fishing poles and headed  out. As we walked past the playground, a troope of young kids chased after us asking “What are you going to go do? Where are you going fishing? Can I come?”  One kid made us laugh when he noticed the gun that we brought with us for bear protection, asked, “Is that an AK?” Eventually, the kids realized that they weren’t going to be able to come with us and returned to the playground.

A few minutes later, we were out of town following the 4-wheeler trail to the creek.  Well, I had intended to follow the 4-wheeler trail that went on land…  It turned out that swarms of mosquitoes were hiding in the knee high grasses by the trail. I decided to take advantage of the low tide and walk along the muddy shoreline. The mosquitoes were less dense once I got out of the grasses, but I did get covered in mud.

After 40 minutes of trudging through the mud and mosquitoes, we arrived at the creek.  Spots were chosen, fishing poles were assembled, and lines were cast into the water. Then, seaweed was caught. Yes, between the four of us, fishing for an hour, the catch of the day was nice fresh seaweed.  Although I called out to them, “Here fishy fishy, come here fishy fishy” they decided to avoid our lures altogether.  Sigh! I just hope I have better luck next time.

Erika Written by:


  1. Mom
    August 7, 2010

    Well at least you are all smiling and having fun!!!

  2. Kyle's Dad
    August 8, 2010

    Just proves the theory that a bad day of fishing beats a great day at work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *